Friday, July 6, 2007

Project Management Software Investigation

Out of a dire need stemming from a growing team involved in more projects than I care to enumerate and a lack of what I consider to be essential collaboration tools, I have been investigating project management software. My initial reaction was "oh, i know, how about that much bzzzzzed about app from our innovative friends over at 37 signals...Basecamp.

I singed up for the free 1 project package, invited my team members, entered our Milestones for the next year and we were all set to start existing in the modern era of project collaboration . Thats when "Process Management" got involved and we are still, more than a month later, without an official project management tool.

Process Management suggested 2 tools:
Project Insight which is huge and bloated with reporting and charting features. Despite it being web based and having a collaborative aspect you'd probably be better off with yea ol standard MS Project

And ViewPath which I thought was alright and would probably do the trick but was a little lack luster and unrefined.

What I need most:
  • shared calendar
  • document repository which allows discussion
  • action item / todo lists
  • a tool that is not only easy but actually fun to use
What my boss needs:
  • time tracking
  • high level view of what his developers are doing
Basecamp provides all this is a beautifully arranged package which displays an innate understanding of the fact that what makes a successful project is a well communicating team.

No comments: